Thursday, October 9, 2008

Shaking down the money tree

Yesterday I was gone most of the day. The morning was spent at bible study (a Beth Moore study, Breaking Free), the afternoon at my friend J's house planning the upcoming mom's group meeting. There was a brief 5 minute run home to let the dog out, and of course getting the kids to and from school, but otherwise I was gone from about 8:15 to 4.

When I got home, there was a mesage on the machine from another second-grade mom, asking if we are planning on attending the upcoming silent auction that the PSO is sponsoring. The auction is an event the school has every year, where first they ask you for either a donation of items they can auction or cash money so they can purchase items to auction. Then you buy a ticket to get into the auction. Then you get the privilege of bidding for items you have either donated or helped purchase. A person could easily say goodbye to $100 for a $25 item by the time the night is through.

Um, no thank you. I certainly appreciate what the PSO does for the school, and I guess the auction has been successful in the past, otherwise why continue? But have y'all seen the news? The economy has tanked, and spending a bucket of money for stuff I don't need is not high up on the list of priorities right now. I really doubt it's high up on anyone's list, but whatever. I wish them well.

Well. Glad I got that off my chest. Now I need to call this lady back and regretfully decline the invitation. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Antique Mommy said...

Oh I hate doing that kind of stuff - participating in those crazy fund raising auctions OR declining to participate. It's a lose-lose.