Thursday, October 23, 2008

The fall from the pedestal is long and hard

Buddy has always been an easy-going sort. When he was a baby, he would smile and laugh and drool at me, and his smile said, "Mama, I will always be yours."

He failed to mention that he would be mine until he turned 5.

People, my baby has a girlfriend.

Buddy was getting ready for school one day and was being kind of quiet. Then he looked at me with big brown eyes and said, "Mama, I haf to tell you somefing. (pause) I have a girlfriend at school."

"Well, what is her name?"

"Jessica." (said the same drawn-out way a person would say "heaven")

"Is she a nice girl? Because it is important that your girlfriend be a nice girl."

"I dunno. She won't talk to me."

"Oh. Huh. Well, then why do you like her?"

(somewhat breathlessly) "She has long shiny hair and butterflies on her backback. They are different colors." swoon swoon

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I asked him if I was still his girlfriend, and he said I could be, but Jessica was, too. I am not really into sharing, I don't think.

No comments: