Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Birthday celebrations for the dieter


Matt has been on a quest for the last several months to lose weight, and even though I love him no matter what the scale says, I've tried to be supportive and not bring too much junk/candy/cheetos into the house. It's healthier, anyway, and I guess it's been working, because he has now lost about 40 pounds. Go him.

Except that this past weekend was his birthday. While he would have been happy to munch on rice cakes and drink water to celebrate, I knew the kids were expecting CAKE. And how do you make a cake without fat/calories/butter/anything good? I had a dilemna.

Fortunately, I am a genius. I took out my box of chocolate cake mix, whipped it up and proceeded to make 76 miniature cupcakes. You could eat 1 cupcake with 1 big bite, or two bites if people are watching and you're trying to be tasteful. I frosted about 12, stuck in the birthday candles, and put the rest in the freezer for hard times (and apparently, times are hard because about half of them are gone now. oops).

So, it worked for me--making itty bitty cupcakes so that the birthday boy could have a taste of cake without falling off the Weight Watchers wagon.

Aren't they cute?









For more great tips, visit Works for Me Wednesday.

5 comments:

Girl Fisher said...

Great idea! I've also made a "good for you" chocolate cake from a Yahoo food blog with a cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling). Just the two ingredients! Very easy and healthier!

Kristin - The Goat said...

That is a great idea. Most of the time all we really want is a bite or two. Good for you for doing your best to help your husband stay on his diet!

Come by my place if you get a chance this week I have my Birthday Week giveaway & WFMW post. Have a fabulous day!
Kristin

Wani said...

great idea!

Jendeis said...

What a wonderful idea and so supportive of your husband! I must try this idea for the next time we need to make cake.

Unknown said...

This is a really great idea! Thanks for sharing. : ). Hope your week is filled with happiness (and only a few bites of the tiny cupcakes : )