Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Anyone up for a movie?


I am the first to admit that I am a protective mama. I hand out popsicles to the neighborhood kids and then eavesdrop on them to see what they are up to. I volunteer in the classroom not because I necessarily want to be helpful, but I want to see what the kids in the class are like. I refuse to buy clothes that are too "mature" for my daughter. I make sure my son wears his helmet when he rides his bike. Bug spray, sunscreen, triple bacterial ointment, bandaids, gauze, aspirin and tylenol--all in the medicine cabinet, ready to go.

One area of "protection" that is becoming more important to me is the area of the media and what my kids are exposed to. To be honest, there are not that many movies OR television shows I am comfortable with them watching, especially now that they are getting too old for Dora and the like. And, I really don't want to have to watch a bunch of movies ahead of time to make sure they are appropriate. Who has time for that?

So, I rely on Plugged In, a ministry of Focus on the Family, which screens most current movies and lets me know which ones are ok for my kiddos. Their reviews are VERY thorough, and can even spoil the big plot twists, but I appreciate them because I know exactly what my children will be watching. They even count the swear words (BTW, swear words=no rental for my kids). It has even helped my husband and me determine if we want to watch a particular movie, because we know we don't want to condone certain behaviors.

So, it works for me--a great way to review movies WITHOUT having to watch them!

For more great tips, visit Rocks in My Dryer.

2 comments:

Wani said...

Thanks for sharing! ScreenIt.com is also a good resource.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Thank you for sharing the link! I have been wanting to figure out some movies that would be good to watch. This will really help! :D

Have a great WFMW!
Sherry